Re: Preparing a proposal for encoding a portable interpretable object code into Unicode (from Re: IUC 34 - call for participation open until May 26)

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2010 - 03:32:44 CDT

    I have decided that the way to progress the research is to try to get the system implemented using Private Use Area characters.

    I have added a page to our family webspace.

    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/research.htm

    At the time of writing this post the page simply contains a link to the paper_draft_005.pdf document.

    I am suggesting that for research purposes using the Private Use Area that the value of XY in the paper_draft_005.pdf document is FA. Thus, for example, the command ai:=ui; that is listed in the document as U+XY014 is implemented in the Private Use Area as U+FA014. I am suggesting using plane 15 because if the portable interpretable object code is ever implemented in regular Unicode then it will not be in plane 0, so research needs, in my opinion, to be using codepoints in other than plane 0.

    Starting at U+FA000 is convenient for entering codes into WordPad using Alt codes as the decimal equivalent of hexadecimal FA000 is 1024000. Thus, for example, U+FA014 would be entered using Alt 1024020.

    ----

    On Wednesday 2 June 2010, John H. Jenkins <jenkins@apple.com> wrote:

    > On Jun 2, 2010, at 3:51 AM, William_J_G Overington wrote:
    >
    > > I know of no reason to think that a person "skilled in
    > the art" would be unable to write an iPad app to receive a
    > program written in the portable interpretable object code
    > arriving within a Unicode text message and then for the
    > program to run in a virtual machine within the app,
    > displaying a graphical result on the screen of the iPad.
    > Could such an app be written based on the information in the
    > paper_draft_005.pdf document?
    > >

    > OK, one very last note. The answer to this question
    > is, "No."

    Hopefully using F and A as the values for X and Y respectively will resolve that issue. If any reader notices anything else I would be grateful to know please, by email if you prefer.

    Also, if anyone does try implementing an interpreter, whether for the iPad or otherwise, I would be interested to know the results please.

    ----

    On Wednesday 2 June 2010, Andrew West <andrewcwest@gmail.com> wrote:

    > You mean, you are proposing to encode characters that can
    > be used to create plain text viruses -- nice!

    I have done all that I can to try to ensure quite specifically that there is no virus threat, within the limits of my knowledge of those matters, which is not great. In the paper_draft_005.pdf document there are three mentions of the word sandbox. Yet I am concerned from what Andrew wrote that I may be missing something.

    I wonder if anyone could possibly say please, by email if preferred, if they notice anything specific in what I have suggested that could lead to a problem with viruses?

    ----

    I am hoping to make a font with authoring-time glyphs for each of the commands in the paper_draft_005.pdf document. I have some experience of making a font with glyphs in plane 15 from experiments using emoji. I produced some notes as I learned.

    http://forum.high-logic.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2527
    For the designs of the glyphs I am, at the present time, thinking of having each design within a square with rounded corners.

    This research is intended to proceed outside this mailing list, so anyone interested is welcome to email me.

    If I make any progress I will try to add a note to the following web page.

    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/research.htm

    William Overington