Re: UTF-8 in Netscape

From: KNAPPEN@MZDMZA.ZDV.UNI-MAINZ.DE
Date: Thu Jul 17 1997 - 05:01:48 EDT

Frank Tang wrote:

> It is a good point. I will consider adding UTF-8 for mail encoding
> instead of using UTF-7

Be aware, that UTF-8-Mail cannot be transported by any IBM mainframe
running EBCDIC, since EBCDIC makes use of 64 control characters. And there
are still many of such beasts left in the email network, many of them
running listserv and distributing high duty mailing lists.

UTF-7,5 may pass through, but I won't bet on anything but pure ASCII. And
even this is sometimes mangled (specially the circumflex).

--J"org Knappen