Re: Unicode use for end-users

From: Edward Cherlin (cherlin@cauce.org)
Date: Fri Aug 01 1997 - 10:21:15 EDT

At 3:06 AM -0700 7/31/97, Graham_Rhind@otsgroup.nl wrote:

[snip]
>for systems and software which support Unicode (MS-Word 97 for
>example), I am mystified about how I can produce Unicode characters (if at
>all) via the keyboard. Using ASCII codes, for example, I can produce the
>"|" by typing:
>
>ALT+129
>
>How can I type in a Unicode code to get the same effect? I have tried
>whole strings of codes and various methods, but to no effect. Any help
>would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Graham Rhind

As far as I know, you have to run Word 97 under Windows NT, or else install
Gamma UniType along with it, to have access to a generic Unicode input
method (NT or UniType) or specific input methods for a variety of scripts
(UniType, or NT plus language kits). Win95 only supports entry in extended
Latin, Greek, and Cyrillic.

--
Edward Cherlin       Help outlaw Spam     Everything should be made
Vice President     http://www.cauce.org      as simple as possible,