Re: Apostrophes, quotation marks, keyboards and typography

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Tue Jul 20 1999 - 06:23:03 EDT

Ar 11:35 -0700 1999-07-19, scríobh Scott Horne:
>A pox on the person who decided to use the apostrophe as a letter
>in Latin script. It has no upper-case form,

It doesn't need one.

>it doesn't feel like a letter,

Plenty of speakers of natural languages disagree with you.

>it cannot be joined to other letters in script

Handwriting?

>and it is
>often disregarded. Its cousin the turned apostrophe (used in
>Hawai`ian, the Wade-Giles romanisation of Chinese, and other writing
>systems) enjoys all these disadvantages and one more: it is easily
>mistaken for the regular apostrophe.

Indeed, this is the bane of our days.

>A double pox on the person who thought it convenient to use the
>apostrophe and the turned apostrophe as distinct and unrelated letters
>in, for example, transcriptions of Arabic.

Well sometimes we gots what we gots. I won't try to lay the blame on who
invented what in my paper, though, in order to preserve their souls from
your vehement a-poxing.

--
Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)