First of many newbie questions

From: Pascal Maheu (pmaheu@cmles.com)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 17:03:37 EDT

(here goes nothing)
Good day!

Pardon my newbieness (oooh boy am I a Newbie) but I have a few questions
concerning Unicode. I've been following up on the discussions for the past
week or so, so I'm starting to get a feel for Unicode. I still have tons of
questions. here are just a few...

* How does using non-spacing characters like "^" interact with say an
"e" to form a "ê"? Does the ê suddenly become 32 bits long? Being a French
Canadian, I need to know these things. (Why are accented characters
"separated" from the rest (being non-spacing chars) instead of being
incorporated as distinct characters within the spacing chars? This is not a
play on Québec politics is it? ; ) )

* Okay, I think I know the difference btw UTF-8 (good) and UTF-8S
(bad), but what is the difference btw UTF-8, 16 and 32? Why would one want
to use one instead of the other? If I have hardware that only 8 bit chars,
should I use UTF-8? How do I tell my VC++ compiler to do that?

* Can someone give me good links to programming VC++ 6.0 with Unicode?
Are there books on the subject?

Thanks for your patience

Pascal Maheu
Student programmer