Re: japanese xml

From: David Starner (dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 01:59:00 EDT

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 10:29:51PM -0700, Michael (michka) Kaplan wrote:
> This is only a problem for people who do not want to use Unicode.

No! It's a problem with anyone who has to interoperate with people using
non-Unicode systems or needs to use legacy data. Would you be that dismissive
about it if each ISO-8859-n table mapped 00-7F to Unicode slighty differently?

> It is
> certainly not Unicode's fault that the various [vendor-provided] versions of
> standards are incomplete or that they conflict with each other.

Unicode put its name on them, and stored them in a directory that also includes
normative data. Unicode certainly could have done some basic consistency
checking on them. They also could have chosen not to publish EUC-JP or
SJIS tables at all, instead publishing a JIS X 0208 table and saving us
from most of the problem. Can Unicode be blamed for all of the problem?
No. But their documents were the source of the problem, and they could have
fixed or at least eased the problem with a little more care.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and