Re: PDUTR #26 posted

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 13:20:15 EDT

From: "Carl W. Brown" <cbrown@xnetinc.com>

> In actuality it would be difficult for IANA to deny a character set for
any
> "official" character set so the decision is actually up to the Unicode
> committee.

I concur.

> I don't believe that the idea of registering CESU-8 with IANA came from
the
> Unicode people. If it came from Peoplesoft then it is another indication
> that the this is a deceitful proposal.

<rushes to Toby's defense... and revels in the irony? :-) >

Actually, Toby's original stated position on this was no. It was others who
recommended it be registered to keep others from registering it.

Also, Toby was not attempting to be deceitful, AFAIK. The original proposal
he submitted (still called UTF-8S) was not in any way contradictory but many
people objected to various issues within it and the way many things were
presented. The current proposal was a very rushed attempt to respond to the
feedback.

The fact that it appears to contradict itself philosophically is (IMHO)
because it was attempting to shoehorn in many different issues? I did not
agree with the original proposal, and disagree just as much with the current
draft (for many of the reasons that have been stated here, and more).

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.
http://www.trigeminal.com/