The Basmala (was: Re: Digraphs as Distinct Logical Units)

From: Philipp Reichmuth (uzsv2k@uni-bonn.de)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 06:22:11 EDT

Hello Michael,

>>I'm not sure where this discussion is going but isn't there a
>>proposal to assign a single code to the Arabic invocational phrase
>>which translates into English as "In the name of God, the merciful,
>>the compassionate"? I will not attempt to count either the number
>>of letters in the Arabic original or the number of combining
>>characters.

ME> Yes, the Bismillah is under ballot. However it will have no decomposition.

Why not? Because it's considered to be a graphic?

BTW do you have a link to this proposal?

  Philipp mailto:uzsv2k@uni-bonn.de

PS: As soon as the basmala gets in, I promise that I will try and
propose twenty other characters for Arabic ritual formulae, such as
"`alayhi as-salaam" (peace be upon him), "radiya llahu `anhu" (may God
have mercy upon him), the corresponding feminine variants, and so
on... they're not as frequent as the basmala, but still frequent. ;-)