Re: Tildes on vowels

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@columbia.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 11 2002 - 14:06:45 EDT

> Consider the recent example offered by Frank da Cruz,
> which uses the superscript "i".
>
> > Thus "Þe" ("The") might be written "Yⁱ".
>
> (If you have "au_courant.ttf" installed and can actually display it.)
>
> In HTML, that might be written as "Y<superscript>i</superscript>"
>
> That's mark-up.

As a visual aid in this discussion, I put the St. Erkenwald manuscript
passage online here:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/st-erkenwald.html

It's straightforward HTML but I don't seem to get decent results with either
IE 6.0 or Netscape 6.2. Neither one seems to handle the combining macron,
and IE can't disply yogh.

- Frank