Re: Furigana

From: Tex Texin (tex@i18nguy.com)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 12:47:32 EDT

John Cowan wrote:

> Tex Texin scripsit:
>
> > Why would you want them to be for internal-use only? When you exchange
> > regular expressions wouldn't you want operators such as "any character"
> > to be passed as well, and standardized so that there is agreement on the
> > meaning of the expression?
>
> Regular expressions are usually interchanged using (some approximation of)
> Posix syntax, so as "abc.*\*", not "abc<ANY><STAR>*". Note the phrase
> "compiled form" in my posting.

Seems like a very minor optimization then. (I am not saying undesirable,
just it is a small benefit.)

> > It is also not clear to me that it is desirable to encode operators of
> > regular expressions as individual characters, because then you get into
> > the slippery slope of encoding operators for every function that someone
> > might want, and that is what started this thread isn't it...
>
> Ah, but for internal use you can do what you want with the 66 non-characters
> and the 4 pseudo-non-characters.

Yes. Same thing is true for higher level protocols.

> > (But a Unicode APL operator set would be nice. ;-) )
>
> Um, we have one of those, don't we?

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant this in the context of encoding a set of
APL-like operators for working on Unicode text to manipulate them in
regular expressions, going way beyond the "any character", "0 or more
character" operators.

tex

> --
> John Cowan
> jcowan@reutershealth.com
> I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin

Making e-Business Work Around the World