Gwoyeu Romatzyh marking the optional neutral tone

From: Christoph Burgmer (cburgmer@ira.uka.de)
Date: Sun Jul 12 2009 - 14:31:56 CDT

    I am looking for a character used in a Romanization of Mandarin Chinese called
    Gwoyeu Romatzyh. It is the symbol denoting the optional neutral tone in
    Mandarin which is marked by Chao [1] with a preceding subscript circle [2, 3,
    4]. Wikipedia gives an example using markup: bujy<sub>o</sub>daw [5].

    Now Unicode encodes U+2092 (ₒ, LATIN SUBSCRIPT SMALL LETTER O). I don't know
    if this character is applicable for my case - it does provide the correct
    glyph. Is its usage encouraged?

    -Christoph Burgmer

    [1] Yuen Ren Chao: Mandarin Primer: an intensive course in spoken Chinese.
    Harvard University Press, Cambridge, 1948
    [2] http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uyhc/files/images/p1070002.preview.jpg
    [3] http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uyhc/files/images/p1070003.preview.jpg
    [4] http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uyhc/files/images/p1070010.preview.jpg
    [5] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_in_Gwoyeu_Romatzyh#Tonal_rules