PETSCII mapping?

From: Elias Mårtenson <lokedhs_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 16:18:30 +0800

I have been searching, trying to find some information as to why there is a
large set of symbols in PETSCII which cannot be mapped to Unicode.

PETSCII is the character set used by the Commodore 64, which was an
incredibly popular computer in the 80's, and still remains in use to this
day. More information on the character set can be found on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PETSCII

Searching for PETSCII in the archives for this mailing list only reveals
two messages, none of which addresses my question.

Given that this is a web-documented character set, used by a very popular
system, there must be some reason why these symbols are missing from
Unicode.

Could anyone provide some information on this?

Regards,
Elias