RE: Wordprocessors in Korean

From: Chris Pratley (chrispr@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 15:01:48 EDT

Actually, Word2000 and Word2002 support Old Hangul (which I think is
what you refer to as Middle Korean - please correct me if I am wrong).

Word2000 does it using an add-in that uses the Unicode PUA to support
about 5000 Old Hangul pre-composed glyphs.

Word2002 uses the Jamos in U+1100 to compose Old Hangul character
directly (over 1.3 million combinations theoretically, but due to
independent Korean linguists' concerns, only valid combinations are
allowed). You can now create any ancient text in Hangul in Word 2002. AN
inoput method is included in the Korean version, as well as in the
OfficeXP Proofing Tools kit (or Multilanguage pack, which includes the
Proofing Tools kit)

One thing you can not do easily is illustrate partially composed
(invalid) characters for purposes of illustration in a textbook of how
characters are constructed.

I would welcome any details on the below-mentioned limitations of Word
for Korean word processing. It may be that these deficiencies have been
corrected in more recent releases. This opinion of Word compared to HWP
was formed in the early days before Word had a great focus on Asian
languages. Since I was personally involved in that work for the last 6
years, I know how much Word has improved in that area, so I am sure that
at least some of the complaints have been addressed.

Chris Pratley
Group Program Manager
Microsoft Word

Sent with OfficeXP final release