RE: Wordprocessors in Korean

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 17:07:19 EDT

CP> : On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Chris Pratley wrote:

JS> : On 2001-07-13, Jungshik Shin wrote:

JS> BTW, Microsoft (Korea) made a public annnouncement that it would
JS> support Middle Korean in the near future (in MS-Windows and MS-Word)
JS> and it would be great to get that support from one of major OS/word
JS> processor vendors.

CP> Actually, Word2000 and Word2002 support Old Hangul (which I think is
CP> what you refer to as Middle Korean - please correct me if I am wrong).

  That's great to hear. Thank you for your info, wonderful
job and updating me on the issue. The 'near future' in the above was
relative to that announcement made by Microsoft and it's nice to know
that it's now 'present' :-)

  My assessment was based on my (not so extensive)
experience with using MS Word 2000. Because I can't find any way to enter
Middle Korean, I thought it's not yet implemented as of MS Word 2000.

  Can I install an input method for Middle Korean (included in OfficeXP
Proofing tool) in MS Windows 2000 (or MS Windows ME)? Not so likely,
but I'm asking just in case.

CP> Word2000 does it using an add-in that uses the Unicode PUA to support
CP> about 5000 Old Hangul pre-composed glyphs.

  Or, where can I get this add-in (supposedely input method and font(s))?
I tried 'Office on the web' (office update and download area), but
couldn't find anything related to this.

CP> Word2002 uses the Jamos in U+1100 to compose Old Hangul character
CP> directly (over 1.3 million combinations theoretically, but due to
CP> independent Korean linguists' concerns, only valid combinations are
CP> allowed). You can now create any ancient text in Hangul in Word 2002. AN
CP> inoput method is included in the Korean version, as well as in the
CP> OfficeXP Proofing Tools kit (or Multilanguage pack, which includes the
CP> Proofing Tools kit)

  Can you tell me who you meant by 'independent Korean linguists'?
How do you(or they) determine which are valid and which are not? Having
been found in existing literature?

  BTW, 1.3 milion seems to be off by a
factor of 2. Well, I'm being lazy here and just pulling the number top
off my head (instead of actually counting them) so that I might be wrong.
Another BTW, are you aware of 5 new medial vowels submitted by DPRK to
add to U+1100 Jamo block? One of them is widely used by Korean speakers
in South Korea (and perhaps in North Korea as well).

CP> One thing you can not do easily is illustrate partially composed
CP> (invalid) characters for purposes of illustration in a textbook of how
CP> characters are constructed.

  I don't understand why this can't be done if you're supporting
syllable composition using U+1100 Jamos? Due to lack of fonts? How about
'incomplete syllables' (such as 'ICF' + 'medial vowel' + final consonant
where 'ICF' denotes initial consonant filler) or 'stand-alone' medial
vowels or final consonants?

  BTW, does MS IE 6.0 support Hangul syllable composition with Hangul
Jamos in U+1100 block? (see <http://jshin.net/~jungshik/i18n/middle.html>)
Maybe, this has to be asked to somebody else in Microsoft, does it?

  Thank you again for great news,

   Jungshik Shin