Re: Is there Unicode mail out there?

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 00:39:49 EDT

Lars,
I was looking at Section 2.4 Character Data and Markup:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006#syntax

Which seemed to me to rule out the NCR for > in situations other
than "]]>" for compatibility reasons.

"If they are needed elsewhere, they must be escaped using either
numeric character references or the strings "&" and "<"
respectively. The right angle bracket (>) may be represented using
the string ">", and must, for compatibility, be escaped using
">" or a character reference when it appears in the string "]]>"
in content, when that string is not marking the end of a CDATA
section."

tex

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Tex Texin
> |
> | XML restricts the character set which by implication restricts the
> | NCR values. I see that > can't use an NCR but < can.
>
> They can both use NCRs. In fact, the example definitions of the
> predefined entities do just that:

> --Lars M.

Tex Texin                      Director, International Business
mailto:Texin@Progress.com      +1-781-280-4271
Fax:+1-781-280-4655
the Progress Company           14 Oak Park, Bedford, MA 01730