RE: Case mapping of dotless lowercase letters

From: Peter Jacobi (peter_jacobi@gmx.net)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 02:20:27 EST

    kentk@cs.chalmers.se wrote:

    [...]
    > Note that ß (sharp s) casefolds to ss, and Å¿ (long s) casefolds to s. So
    > "straße", "straÅ¿se", and "strasse" also both map to the same ("strasse")
    > subname.
    [...]

    According to my Duden, sharp-s doesn't uppercases to SS, when it is in
    a name. So 'Großmann' and 'Grossmann' should get distinct Domains,
    where available.

    BTW, the whole thread on IDN domain names which can be mistaken, seems
    rather pointless. It is an old problem, explored by registering misspellings
    or with and without a hyphen. If there is a possibility of confusion, then
    there
    is a possibility of a lawsuit and the older rights and larger legal
    department
    will win. AFAIK mircosoft.com was killed this way (whereas rnicrosoft.com is
    being tolerated, strange).

    Regards,
    Peter Jacobi