Tengwar and Klingon scripts?

From: Markus G. Kuhn (kuhn@cs.purdue.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 22 1997 - 01:35:04 EDT

What is the status with regard to adding code points for the characters
of the Tengwar and Klingon scripts to Unicode and ISO 10646?

Tengwar is described on

  http://www.west.net/~gdsmith/gary/tengwar2.html

For a beautiful text example, check

  http://www.west.net/~gdsmith/gary/tengwar.html

Klingon (pIqaD) is described on

  http://www.kli.org/kli/pIqaD.html

As a Tolkien lyrics fan, I have the definitive cultural requirement
to use the Tengwar script in my work with computers, and I guess there are at
least a few thousand more phantasy script fans out there. It need not
necessarily be in the BMP, but those scripts have become part of our
cultural heritage and deserve at least some encoded respect in Plane 1.

Would a proposal to reserve a PHANTASY ZONE in Plane 1 and filling it
with beautiful scripts created by popular authors for their extraterrestial
lyrics find any big resistance in the Unicode consortium? There are already
plenty of fonts for those scripts available, and it would be a shame if I
couldn't integrate them into a Unicode system in a portable way. Or are
we doomed to keep those beautiful characters in the private use areas
as Linux and CSUR <http://www.indigo.ie/egt/standards/csur/index.html>
do at the moment?

Markus

--
Markus G. Kuhn, Computer Science grad student, Purdue
University, Indiana, USA -- email: kuhn@cs.purdue.edu