RE: [OT] o-circumflex

From: James E. Agenbroad (jage@loc.gov)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 10:39:43 EDT

                                             Friday, September 7, 2001
Librarians have *filing* rules--the American Library Association (ALA) and
the Library of Congress (LC) each issued some in, I think, 1980. I
believe they both say to ignore diacritics because Americans do not
recognize that they have an order. These days filing in vendor software
for libraries tends to follow neither one very closely--the phrase
"more honored in the breach than the observance" comes to mind. I may be
wrong but I do not believe there is an established U.S. standard for
sorting/filing. A few years ago a National Information Standards
Organization (NISO) committee drafted one but it didn't get the
votes needed to become an accepted standard.

     Regards,
          Jim Agenbroad ( jage@LOC.gov )
     The above are purely personal opinions, not necessarily the official
views of any government or any agency of any.
Phone: 202 707-9612; Fax: 202 707-0955; US mail: I.T.S. Dev.Gp.4, Library
of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. SE, Washington, D.C. 20540-9334 U.S.A.